Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 24 Jul 2018 00:21

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1993 Black Cyborg hatch
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2007 12:23 

Thats right I've "Upgraded" (as Bart put it) to a gen1... Well the missus has anyway.

Its dead stock other than little 14" alloy wheels, though it has a fare bit of panel damage. All minor parking scrapes, nothing to bad. Needs new shocks and the rear trailing arm links are worn.

Next week it'll be stripped and the roof sanded back and rust proofed as I'm sure it'll be needed. Gen2 rear links fitted as i think they are the same size, and some new shocks.

Then the ecu will come out and get chipped, as a test car. As well as i'll get the new cable for evoscan that fits the OBD1 cars for logging etc.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2007 18:59 
Administrator

Rabbit wrote:
Well the missus has anyway.

Hmm, to quote the Tui ad, "Yeah Right"... :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2007 19:41 

Nah its really hers, as i would have got an fto or gen2 again. She thinks the gen1 is more "cute".

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2007 23:22 
Administrator

Rabbit wrote:
She thinks the gen1 is more "cute".

Yeah, you gotta love the the way they choose their cars... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007 20:17 

Its so stock it even has the full orginal manuals and MMC blue denim folder. There no external sign of rust at all, though the clear coat is coming off the spolier. A patch of the boot is rusted from a spill of brake fliud, but its just surface rust.

Came with an alarm and crap sony single cd player too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007 02:08 

Location: Making things Dirty =;-P (Auckland care of muddy gravel roads)
interesting...

I made it to trackday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007 12:04 
Administrator

And it has the ever so rare cover on the tow hook at the front :)

Waikato@Heart - supporting heart kids through life
Bart Dinger Electronics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2007 11:34 

The tow hook is bolted on, and glued as well i doubt it will come off intacked.

Best thing so far its had the roof either replaced or treated early as it got almost no rust and brown goo everywhere and the roof supports have been unglued and bent down to get rust treatment under them. There is a little surface rust where the previous rust kill hasn't covered but that will be a small job to finish up.

Things Fixed
Well the boot rust is gone and painted.
The leak in the boot lock is fixed.
Rear multilinks replaced.
Alarm wired to central locking. (changed the central locking to another module from a gen1 and it started to smoke, seems there are a few different wiring systems for the gen1)

New faults found
A CV boot is leaking from under the wire strap so thats got to be replaced. Its been taped over and cable tied so its not a problem and can wait for the new shocks before being replaced.
The inside fan controller only goes works on 3 and 4 nothing else.
A random engine check light comes on but never stays and has no effect on the car running. Though the battery was shagged and has been replaced which made starting easier, so that maybe all it was.
The roof seals along the sides of the roof need replacing as they are peeling and rusting up. (one side is in wellington the other has to come from japan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007 13:15 

Well the check light stayed long enough to read it today, and the car went like crap. But error 32=MAP so at least it was a very specific code and thats the best kind. NO having to trace the fault, its going to be the map sensor as its putting out an 'out of range' or 'no' signal.

5 mins later, after one plug, one bolt, and one tube the car has a new map sensor.

Got the POR15 starter kit, well the super kit as thats all they had. Cost only nz$29 and can cover 1square metre. It includes gloves and brushes and a page detail on each product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007 08:55 

Well new front shock and king 35mm lower spring are in at the front, thanks to Jarred. Which are very strange, they are smoother on the smaller bumps, and yet handle better around corners. I'll do the rears once i get some spring clamps to put some new springs in.

Fan speed controller replaced $16 for a pair of them. I got a pair as i fgured one may not work being secondhand, and I was right.

Found the rattle that sounded like it was under the dash is actually the bonnet hinges. So they have to be replaced now too.

May soon have so 98 recaro seats and an lsd put in.

So much for being a cheap run about car :cry:

Oh but the AC was regassed only a little while ago and is very very cold. On economy mode its as good as the other car on full.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007 11:07 

Rabbit wrote:
Got the POR15 starter kit, well the super kit as thats all they had.

Whats this Kit?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007 11:15 

cleaner, rust remover/disolver and protective paint and gloves and brushes. http://www.por15.co.nz Its actually gone up to $7 since i got it :(

Actually didn't use anything but the disolver as there was plenty of spare wax to cover the missed bits.