Mivec Owners Group

It is currently 06 Dec 2021 15:41

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Setting the Timing
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2004 17:16 

I tried to do my timing the other day as the guy from Gizzmo was shocked to see it full advanced, but the timing light hardly pick up anything, is there something i need to turn off so that the idle timing isn't retarded?

Also once I get it ready where should I set it ?
I'm assuming just before it starts knocking.

Mivec 1.6l Cyborg Mirage, Alpine CDA 9835 headunit connected to Apple Ipod, Infinity Kappa Series 6.5inch Components in the front and 6.5inch Coaxials in the rear, 2x Philips 640W amps, 2x Philips 10inch subs, a PSOne mounted in glovebox with flip up screen Momo Knob and Wheel

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2004 18:11 
Administrator

On the 1G there is a connector in the enginebay on the firewall, its brown and taped to the loom. Connect a jumper wire between the connector and the chassis. This puts the ECU in timing adjust mode. If you do it with the engine running you should notice the idle change as soon as its connected. I'd set it somewhere between 5 and 9 degs, depending on the fuel and you how good your compression is. The ECU will retard the timing if you go to far (knock sensor) but it retards more than you need to so the optimum is where the computer isn't making any adjustment to your setting. Usually I'd stick with 7deg for pump gas (98 only and 5 or 6 deg when using 96) When you finished adjusting the timing, remove the jumper and your done.

I don't think the timing on 2G models needs (or can) to be adjusted, they have a crank angle sensor so ECU can work out the timing from the cam position vs crank angle.

Waikato@Heart - supporting heart kids through life
Bart Dinger Electronics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2004 21:52 
Quote:
I don't think the timing on 2G models needs (or can) to be adjusted, they have a crank angle sensor so ECU can work out the timing from the cam position vs crank angle.

i was gonna ask about that, just i always forget.. :oops:

so it cant be adjusted, it'll do it all b itself huh! thats too smart for me. id like to be able to tinker with it still

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2004 08:48 

Gen2 has an adjustable cam angle sensor that the americans use to alter timing on there eclipse's. Not sure about the crank sensor but I dont think its adjustable. Both of which probably should be played with anyway.

Otherwise ajustable cam gears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2005 15:46 
Bartman wrote:
On the 1G there is a connector in the enginebay on the firewall, its brown and taped to the loom. Connect a jumper wire between the connector and the chassis. This puts the ECU in timing adjust mode. If you do it with the engine running you should notice the idle change as soon as its connected. I'd set it somewhere between 5 and 9 degs, depending on the fuel and you how good your compression is. The ECU will retard the timing if you go to far (knock sensor) but it retards more than you need to so the optimum is where the computer isn't making any adjustment to your setting. Usually I'd stick with 7deg for pump gas (98 only and 5 or 6 deg when using 96) When you finished adjusting the timing, remove the jumper and your done.

Can you show us a picture of the connector you mentioned?